MADISON, Wisc – Today, Wisconsin Superintendent of Public Instruction Jill Underly gave a “State of Education” speech that failed to provide Wisconsin taxpayers and families any information on the actual state of education. Rather, Underly’s remarks served as a political stump speech in favor of woke policies and against the Legislature, despite the supposedly nonpartisan position.
“Tony Evers has been in the driver’s seat of education for decades, but students are struggling under his tired, old leadership,” said Tim Michels. “Literacy is the foundation of all learning, but instead of making sure that kids can read, Tony Evers and Jill Underly are focused on imposing woke politics and gender ideology in the classroom. We need education that teaches kids how to think – not what to think. Evers and Underly believe pronouns save lives. I believe that literacy and quality education saves lives.”
This comes after the Daily Caller reported that Tony Evers’ Department of Public Instruction is providing “resources for gender expansive preschoolers” to children in Wisconsin public schools, including a video featuring a biological girl whose parents transition her into a boy.
Meanwhile, Tony Evers’ education record as governor is a major failure:
- Evers vetoed a bipartisan literacy bill twice
- According to DPI’s own data, English language arts proficiency is down by over 16 percent, math proficiency is down by over 20 percent, and just 8 percent of Black students are proficient in math
- Evers denied additional funding to a school that serves special needs students
- Students suffered from historic learning loss due to Evers’ refusal to help reopen schools, serving his teachers union donors instead of Wisconsin kids
- Evers tried to cap school choice enrollment, which would have denied students equal access to a quality education regardless of zip code
Tim Michels will empower parents and families and put kids – not bureaucrats or teachers union bosses – first. Read his “I Trust Parents” Education Blueprint here.